And who doesn't love some fruitcake over the holidays?
Okay, I've heard all the jokes comparing fruitcakes to hockey pucks. But here's a nice 'Chunky Fruitcake' quilt everyone will love!
This quilt features "Fruitcake" fabric collection by BasicGrey for Moda.
It's fast and easy to make. Subtle holiday prints that don't scream 'Christmas!' Chock full of nice big chunks of fabric. Yum!
And you can get the kit at Calico Gals in Syracuse to bake up your very own!
By the way, my mom really did make a great fruitcake at the holidays. No thick, sticky goo for her! The cake part was always nice and moist.
Want her recipe?
1 cup white raisins
1 cup cut up candied fruit
1 cup pecans, chopped
2 cups sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 tsp lemon flavor
1/4 cup orange juice, then add brandy to bring liquid to 1/3 cup line on measuring cup
Plus pecan halves and candied cherries to decorate top of cake.
1. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and sift over the fruit and chopped nuts. Blend well and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Add mace, and lemon favoring
5. Stir in floured fruit
6. Add orange juice mixture and blend
7. Grease and flour baking pans, either two loaf pans or one tube pan. Important! Place paper liner in bottom of pan Pour batter over paper liner, then decorate with pecan halves and candies cherries.
8. Bake in slow oven (275 degrees). Bake two loaf pans, about 1-1/2 hours, or bake tube pan 1 hour, 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean. Place a large shallow pan of hot water on rack directly underneath cake in oven.
Store in airtight container.
Please pass the Fruitcake!
Clipart available at www.pccrafter.com