Thursday, July 11, 2013

Postcards from Quilty Travels

Some of you may know that my summer started with a fairly hectic travel schedule. So far, during July, I've been staying close to home, working on some catch-up paperwork, and creating some fun new stuff in the sewing studio.

I feel really fortunate to have the opportunity to interact with so many fun people who enjoy quilting as much as I do.

Here's a photo journal of some of my June travel highlights.

In Williamson, New York, the quilters at Reverse Curves Quilt Guild invited me to lead a workshop to make the Runaway Thread Quilt from the book ScrapTherapy, Cut the Scraps!


Once the blocks are complete, the best part is laying it all out and previewing the quilt-to-be!


During Show-and-Tell, this near-complete version of Stained Glass (from ScrapTherapy, Scraps Plus One!) had a big moment. Lovely!


Then it was on to Baltimore. Did they know I was coming? This is birdland . . . I love birds!


It was a business meeting, after all, so this little reminder, kept me on track . . . sort of.


The ground cover in the nearby plant beds contained tons of sunny yellow flowers.


When the meetings were done, it was time to do some sight-seeing at the amazing American Visionary Art Museum.


Before we even got inside, there were treasures to see on the property surrounding the museum. This huge mosaic blue bird was set on top of a concrete barrier wall. That's me peeking over the wall!


Even the sidewalks included make-shift art full of expression!


Brenda Miller from Among Brenda's Quilts, and her husband Rob (not pictured) as well as Janice Pope of Anything But Boring (also not pictured) were my companions for the night on the town. After the museum, we headed to Baltimore's Inner Harbor, for a delicious dinner and a ride on the sea taxi!


This crazy bird sculpture caught my eye. (Of course!)


Once back in New York State, for a complete change in scenery, I headed into the Adirondacks to teach three workshops at Adirondack Quilt Camp in Long Lake, NY. Our cabin over looked this path leading to the lake.


At the end of the path, the lake and boats await mid-summer fun.


Between classes, Melonie, my cabin-mate, found a few quiet moments for knitting . . .


Me, too!


The Common Sense quilt was one of the workshops I led. Everyone finished a block! Wonderful!


At the end of the camp, participants are invited to show the projects from the prior year. Last year, I led a workshop to construct In the North Woods, another pattern from the book ScrapTherapy, Cut the Scraps! Look at all the variety!


Along the roadside, the blue lupine was in full bloom. . .


Lots of them!


And finally, just before the close of the month, I headed to Endicott, New York and Patchwork Angels Quilt Shop for two workshops to make the Bloomin' Steps quilt.


Mary finished enough blocks to get a preview of 'coming attractions.'


And to my surprise, in exchange for some fabric, Laurie presented me with this chicken pincushion she made from a pattern by Art Fabric Studio.

Happy Stitching!
joan

No comments:

Post a Comment