Thursday, February 21, 2019

A Syracuse Classic

Earlier this week, I headed out for an evening meeting in Liverpool, NY - just the other side of town from my home.

I got busy on a project at my desk and didn't have time to fix a quick dinner before the meeting. On the way, I thought, all I really want is a hot dog and BANG! There was the solution. Heid's!



Every small town or city in America has one of those classic restaurants - that city's claim-to-fame. And around here, that's Heid's. At least for me it is.

Sure, we have world-famous Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and Pastabilities with their delicious Hot Tomato Oil (aka Hot Tom) sauce that you can now buy in the grocery store. But when I was a kid, a quick family meal often meant a trip to Heid's, any time of year, but especially in the summer time.

Not so much this time of year, but all summer long, you know it's meal time because there's a line out the door at Heid's.

The sidewalk at the entrance tells you exactly where to stand and wait patiently for your turn to order.




In the summer, you can skip the 'tube steaks' and head over to the ice cream bar, if you wish! Long lines there, too!

Just inside the door, you place your order for the extras, like soft drinks, chips or fries, and salads. And chocolate milk! I know that may sound yucky, but chocolate milk and a Heid's Hot Dog *screams* comfort food and good memories to me!



You move on down the counter and place your grill order. That grill hasn't changed one bit since the place opened in 1917! I swear that that there's grease on the grill from opening day - which is what makes the perfectly-cooked Franks and Coney's taste so good, in my humble opinion!



Don't look for hamburgers, Heid's is all about the Hoffman German Franks and spicy Coneys. Yeah, they have other things like chicken fingers and grilled steak sandwiches. But Heid's and Hot Dogs are synonymous! Hot dogs and Coneys (also known as white hots in some places)

My order is up almost immediately - my favorite is the mixed double - one of each, a Frank and a Coney - in a miniature-loaf-of-bread roll.

Further down the counter, you can add your favorite condiments. I like sweet relish and ketchup - but for Heid's purists, this is an absolute no-no!



Back in the day (this is going back quite a few 'days'), ketchup was no where to be found at Heid's! If you wanted it, you had to bring your own, and eat in the car--did that plenty of times! Over the years, the ketchup has been added to the condiment selection, and it's standard fare.

When you place your order, short hand is written in grease pencil on your paper plate/wrapper. MD=Mixed Double, DF=Double Frank, etc.

Those grease-pencil letters are kinda where the experience starts. . .and ends as memories disappear into your tummy!



Why ramble on and get excited over a couple of hot dogs? . . . You know, sometimes it's not about the food (although it helps!), it's the experience. Just like with quilts - it's not about the quilt - it's about the joy of making and creating and giving that really makes a quilt different from a ready-made store-bought blanket. 

As I looked around Heid's small dining room while I gulped fast so I wasn't late for my meeting, I saw diverse families talking, laughing, and enjoying a simple old-fashioned meal - and it made me smile. 

What is your town's classic comfort food that brings back memories for you?

Happy Stitching!
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment