Thursday, February 21, 2013

Good Stuff and More Orphans!

It looks like another winter storm might be headed to the East Coast. If this happens, that makes three weekends in a row of harsh winter weather conditions for that part of the country.

Although my area has been spared the worst of the bad weather, it has still been fairly wintery here in Syracuse, NY. And I know I could use a little dose of sunshine and positive energy. Not too long ago my business coach shared this video, and although it doesn't specifically have anything to do with quilting, it has everything to do with appreciating what is around us every day.

Enjoy!






On a slightly different note, my niece, Karen is making some progress on her first quilt. She's purchased the fabric and the tools, and I've offered some basic cutting tips. Soon we'll start sewing. Follow along if you wish.


Orphans . . . again!Last June I attended the North Country Quilt Guild show. Read more here for a reminder of my trip to Clayton, NY for the show.

I was particularly struck by a guild project they were managing that used Orphan Quilt Blocks - those quilt blocks that are completed, but never made it into a finished quilt for one reason or another. The guild project inspired me to challenge myself and the readers of this weekly newsletter to use orphan blocks over the course of the summer 2012.

I've recently received an update from the guild volunteers who organized the guild project, that I thought I'd share.

The guild worked their orphan challenge a little differently than I did. Instead of challenging each member to use orphan blocks in quilts made by individual members, the project organizers challenged guild members to donate orphan blocks to the guild. From the varied blocks collected, a small group of volunteers sorted the diverse blocks into coordinated groupings. Add a little sashing here, a focal print there, and toddler-sized lap quilts emerged from the donated blocks - 45(!) quilt tops, to be exact.

At a recent guild meeting, 43 of the 45 tops were 'adopted' by the membership who will finish them up. Once quilted and bound, the quilts go directly into the hands of children who really need a quilty hug within the local community.

Here are a few of the quilt tops. Aren't they amazing?

You know, I love the bird blocks in this one!


Pretty pink, green, yellow to cheer the spirit.



Color!



Blue is one of my favorite stash colors!



More pink, but paired with sage green this time.



Wowee!



Can you imagine? I bet your guild could do a project like this . . . do I hear the wheels turning?

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment