Thursday, June 12, 2014

Inner Harbor Happenings

Last week, I was on a business trip to Baltimore, Maryland, and it was really productive. I met with some very creative people with whom I'll be working over the next year. Each of us has big plans for our creative businesses in 2014. Since our meetings were on a pretty set schedule, there wasn't very much free time. But a girl's gotta eat, and when a girl's gotta eat in Baltimore, she might just hafta have some Maryland crab cakes!

When I ordered the stuffed shrimp at the local hot spot, known for their excellent crab cakes, I was expecting shrimp, and a little bit of lump crab meat. What I got was a little bit of shrimp and a mother lode of crab! Major yum, but major full, after!



On Friday, our meetings wrapped up early and five of us from the group headed to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Many thanks to Janice Pope of Anything But Boring for being our designated driver. She got us there by land, but then we relied on a more buoyant form of travel--the Water Taxi



Our First stop, the USS Constellation, docked in the harbor for tourists to visit. Hey, what do you mean, "Senior??"



This great ship was a Union vessel during the Civil War and was also deployed in the Mediterranean.



Look at all those ropes!



Hey, look! I found a Parrot(t)!



And a Ford! (no relation)



Based on the educational information throughout the ship, as well as the dark claustrophobic feeling in the lower decks, I'm not sure I'd want to make my living on a ship - unless it's a cruise liner with all the modern amenities and meal plans.

Next, it was on to the National Aquarium.



The glass-encased structure looks very inviting with much to explore.



A few steps inside, the atrium is bright and sunny with tons of water - a hint of what's to come.



I have forgotten this creatures name (I'm pretty sure it wasn't 'Harry' or ‘Fluffy’). But I do remember that he's from Australia and has a blue tongue. He's a member of the skink family.



There was a whole section of the aquarium dedicated to rainforest creatures, complete with a variety of colorful birds. You know I just loved this area!


And of course, we saw fish. Lots and lots of fish. When I dive, I'm always on the lookout for juvenile spotted drums - they are really fun to watch and can be hard to find. This is a not a spotted drum, nor is it a juvenile, but a similar species.



This week, it's back to the office and studio. I'm working on some really, REALLY fun stuff that I can't wait to share with you in the very near future. In the meantime. . . .

Happy Stitching!
joan

No comments:

Post a Comment