Thursday, December 7, 2017

An Adventure for All

I've got a list as long as my arm of things to do to get ready for the holiday and to prepare for some new and exciting things coming to the Hummingbird Highway.

Then, why is it, that I find that my mind is wandering to my first travel event for 2018?

The event is the Scrappy Sails Cruise to Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, and St Maarten, coming up March 3-10.

Could it be that the weather has been dull and gray and I'm already aching to sit by the pool or under a tree with a bit of hand-stitching? Or maybe procrastinating over that long to-do list has given my mind an excuse to wander.

OR maybe it's kinda like this silly little roll of spent 35mm print film I unearthed in the back of a drawer while looking for something else. What pictures does it hold? What is the subject matter of those pictures? Who? What? When? Where? It's like finding a mysterious little time capsule!




For the past few weeks, I've been cutting the fabrics for our project on board. An hour here, and hour there, fifteen minutes, between tasks, the length of a podcast. A chapter or two of an audio book. It's actually pretty relaxing.

The cruise operator for this particular cruise, Quilt Retreat at Sea, likes to keep the on-board project a mystery until we’re all on board. A lot like that little roll of film.




I can give you a few hints. . . our project is pretty large, as cruise projects go. And it has lots of blue-ish fabrics. . .




. . . And brown-ish fabrics. Blue and brown - Like the sea and the sand. Very cruise-like. And there's some background fabrics too, to tie things together.





The quilt itself is all done. Lots of really fun techniques and technique twists. Incorporating the blue . . . 





 . . . and brown fabrics liberally, 




and scrappily (is that a word?) throughout the quilt.




For those on the cruise, the quilt is a lot like the photos inside that roll of spent film. You can *guess* where these hints will lead, but you really won't know until we get there.

From my perspective, the quilters who plan to attend are the surprise element. I know a few people who will be on board - there are two Barbara's --both very fun and both from New York State. And Terry and Lynn will probably sit right in the front row in the classroom to keep me on my toes! (*wink*). Can't wait to see Nancy again. I know some folks, but not everyone. . . yet. . .  I do know we'll all be fast friends upon arrival.

We know our ports of call, Caribelle Batiks, pictured below has already been in touch with Jacquelyn - our Quilt Retreat at Sea classroom contact. They can't wait to greet us and show us .. .




. . . how to make batik fabrics, Caribbean-style while we're in St. Kitts.




But we don't *really* know the full extent of the adventures that await at all three ports - Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, and St. Kitt's in the Eastern Caribbean. I do know for sure, these stunning island destinations, recovering from a devastating hurricane season, absolutely won't disappoint. And they are READY for us!

Personally, I'm ready, too! Fun? Great quilt project while we're at sea? And lots of secrets revealed?

Bring it on!

In case you were wondering, a few seats are left on the Scrappy Sails cruise. Are you coming? We’ll hold your spot and your quilt kit will be waiting for you! All you gotta do is call Michelle (210-858-6399) to make your reservation. Or tell Santa you want to come. And maybe you’ll have an exciting adventure waiting for you in your stocking when Christmas rolls around in a few short weeks.

Oh my! That just snapped me back into reality. I have to do shopping, wrapping, baking . . . .


Happy Stitching!


Joan Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment