Thursday, December 28, 2017

Sweet Holidays

As far back as I can remember, I've always loved to bake. Especially at the holidays. This year, I took a little break from my usual Christmas cookie baking routine. After all, I've adopted this habit of keeping a batch or two of cookies in the freezer ready to pop into the oven at a moment's notice.

Instead, I decided to try something different - for me anyway.

The folks at Fine Cooking sent a holiday message that included a recipe for homemade marshmallows in early December. So I decided to try them.
 

I was surprised how easy they were to make. You just need to have a candy thermometer, or you're sunk.



I experimented with a chocolate variation that isn't included in the online version-adding 1/4 cup cocoa and one tsp of vanilla to the mix instead of two tsp of vanilla. I made a vanilla batch and a chocolate batch, and I have to say the chocolate version is wow-yum!


A few things that I did that contrasted with the original recipe (besides adding a chocolate variation): I used a 11x17" jelly roll pan instead of a 9x13" cake pan. The marshmallows turned out more square that way; and I cut them up with kitchen shears rather than a knife - much easier except for the little incident when the shears connected with my finger! Ouch! Those shears are sharp!




I also experimented (not very successfully) with crushed chocolate mint candy canes. I sprinkled the candy bits on top of half of the chocolate marshmallows. Yummy idea at first, but a couple days later, the candy cane bits were turning the marshmallow tops into a gooey mess. Note to self, stick with the plain sugar-cornstarch coating!

Dave and I usually head over to my brother's for Christmas dinner. So instead of cookies, I baked a Cheesecake for the crowd. Oh-so-yumm!





I like the plain ole' New York Style Cheesecake with the sponge cake base in the Juniors Cheesecake Cookbook. (I see there is a 20% off holiday special right now) So creamy and dreamy. Just like a stop in the Juniors Cheesecake store in Times Square!

Plus I've never really been a big fan of graham cracker crusts, so the sponge cake is a little more work (not much) but so worth it!

And I had to do some baking. Although Dave's favorite holiday treat isn't really baked in the oven so much as grilled in the pizzelle baker. It just wouldn't be the holidays without pizzelle to munch on!





I can see that I should get my ice skates sharpened so I can get myself over to the rink for some laps around the ice! The aftermath of all these rich foods isn't going to be pretty!

Happy Stitching!

Happy New Year!

Joan


No comments:

Post a Comment