Thursday, August 30, 2018

What a Mess!

I think I might have mentioned that I've got some vacation travel coming up here pretty soon. And yesterday, amidst all the planning to make things run smoothly while I'm away, I looked up at my sewing table and discovered a bit of unruly chaos going on there.

In one corner, I have a pile of completed and in-progress FLOCK blocks. The stack of blocks at the top are all done - the blocks are done anyway - they are waiting to become a project. The stack (shown in part) to the right need their applique shapes secured and sewn, and the stack (shown in part) on the left are yet to be started. Most of them anyway.


Smack in the middle of my work table: this stack of partially cut fat quarters and scraps. I unearthed this 'ancient' fat quarter pack whilst tidying up my stash a while back. These aren't my color or style, but they ARE perfect for someone I know! This one is going to be a Christmas gift - and it might even make it for this coming Christmas!



I've been working on this runner project a little at a time (and during some away time at my sister's camp last weekend). The pattern is available online from AQS. It's Debbie Wendt's Journey to Fall Paducah.

The pattern is free, there are 36 blocks to download. I'm not sure how long the pattern will be available, so grab it now, block-by-block, if you're interested.



However, I'm only making four blocks for a table runner, I'm changing up the corners because I detest paper piecing, and the corners from the pattern really work with the big quilt, not so much the table runner. Also I'm switching out the black background for scrappy light colors to coordinate with that aforementioned fat quarter group parked in the middle of the work table.

I think there are a few other projects under this top project layer. I'm afraid to look, so we'll just leave that be. I can only handle so much chaos at once. And you simply don't want to see what my office desk looks like!



Speaking of chaos, I think I showed you my hand stitching/TV project last time. The daisy cross stitch pattern is from a recent cross stitch periodical. To be perfectly honest, I'll be glad when this one's done. It's pretty but the stitches involve lots of REALLY similar but different whites and greens, with a lot of annoying counted space in between each stitch. I've done a lot of backwards stitching on this one when I discover that my counting skills have temporarily lapsed. I've also done a lot of nobody-will-ever-notice-if-I-just-substitute-this-thread-for-it's-neighboring-nearly-identical-color-thread' fudges.

Ugh! What was I thinking when I picked this one up?


(Below: last time; below that: now.)




I'm anxious to get back to my excessively-fussy-but-satisfyingly-predictable blackwork biscornu - I've discovered that you simply can't have enough of those!

Have a wonderful long weekend! Be safe! And find some time to stitch!

Happy Stitching!
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment