Thursday, September 12, 2019

A Curvy Treat

Once the kits for The FLOCK ship  around the 12th of each month. I sometimes find myself with a little bit of extra time in the sewing room.

With the September FLOCK shipment running smoothly and slightly ahead of schedule, I was able to pull out a cool tool I purchased earlier this summer at a quilt show from Linda Warren Designs. The tool is called The Learning Curve. (By the way, not an affiliate, just a fan.)

learning curve ruler


I've been aching to play with this nifty trimming tool for a while now. A couple of projects seemed to override my curiosity. So this week, I grabbed a bit of my morning sewing routine to give it a go.

You know I like scraps! So I started with my ScrapTherapy bin full of 2" and 3-1/2" square pre-cut scraps, and grabbed about a half-yard (for now, just to get started) of a light aqua polky dotty print (not shown here).



The tool comes with real basic instructions. More pictures than words, and that's okay. The tool is pretty intuitive. You make the block elements in pairs; they are oversized, and you use the tool to cut the curves and trim them after sewing. I started with a pair of 3-1/2" squares, one scrap and one polky dot. Stacked them, then trimmed for "Method 6" on the instruction sheet.



There are a bunch of different block options this tool can do, identified by 'method' number.

Okay, so, yeah. This is curved piecing. But Linda makes the whole curved thing very easy and forgiving. She doesn't necessarily advocate aligning things or using pins, but this 'old dog' likes the comfort of a few pins in the set up so the sewing is mindless--the pins aren't necessary , but they are just my preference . . . I started with the two curved pieces (the 'pie' and the 'crust'), then made a pinched crease on the curved edge in the middle of each.



I placed the two pieces right sides together (yes I switched fabric colors on you for my photos), pie-shape on the top, crust on the bottom, and one pin to line up the middle.



I then added two more pins on each side of the curve, easing the fabric edges around and securing them.

Notice that the pin points 'point' to the location of the soon-to-be seam. But they are far enough away from the fabric edge so I won't be running over the pins when I sew. That way,  I can leave them be and take them out after the sewing.



Next I sew along the curve. Linda recommends an 1/8" seam and a short stitch length.

I ease in any edges that get a mind of their own as I go along. But as previously stated, the curve is gentle and forgiving, so you can be a little off and you'll be fine.



Now, after pressing the seams to one side (either side will do, but I pressed toward the scrap and away from the dotty yardage fabric) I have what looks like a hot mess. ends don't match, but the curve looks pretty good. . .



Enter the trimming tool (the well-marked dots on the tool (red arrows) are the key to success!) to turn the hot mess into a nicely trimmed. . .



 . . . 2-1/2" square (for 'method 6'). With curved-pieced center.



You make the units in pairs, and pretty quickly, there are enough to start to see bigger units coming together. As you can imagine, rotating a couple of these units changes everything.

However, my sewing time for the day was over. So I'll have to continue on with this project when I find another sewing/playing window, hopefully soon!



Overall, I really enjoyed playing with The Learning Curve, and I can see an interesting project emerging. . . slowly and gradually as I can fit it in.

The tool is certainly good for curved piecers at any level, even beginners!

About the only setback I saw was some pretty size-able trimming scraps. But since I started with scraps, I'm good with using them up!



There would be similar fabric usage - or worse - using other curved trimming tools, so the ease of use and the impact here is certainly worth the extra bits of fabric, in my mind.

More on this project soon! I'm kinda itchin' to get back to it to see what's going to come next . . .!

Happy Stitiching!
Joan 

No comments:

Post a Comment