Thursday, September 26, 2019

More Sewing Around

With my BERNINA back in place after a long over-due servicing, I was back at my curvy project from a couple weeks ago using The Learning Curve trimming tool.

Last time I played with "Method 6" from Linda's instructions. This time I'm playing with "Method 3."


Whenever I can, I like to use scraps for a project like this plus a bit of yardage. However, the fabric size i need is 5-1/2" long. My ScrapTherapy scraps are cut 5" square. Most days, I can't get 5-1/2" out of a 5" fabric square.



So, I decided to do a little experiment. . . .

For my first attempt, I decided to cut the light blue dot (yardage) according to the instructions. The 5" scrap square is cut into two pieces, but is 1/2" narrower than recommended.



So when I lined the pieces up, I centered them on each other, then used the tool to make the cuts as directed.



I followed the same process as with the smaller Method 6 pieces to find the center with a quick crease.

Then match the creases, pin, sew . . .



 . . . and then press, toward the scrap fabric in each case.



. . . Then I used the tool again to trim down to size. Plenty of room to make a good cut, even if my scrap was smaller than the called-for size.



Linda recommends using a 1/8" seam allowance rather than the usual 1/4". If I follow the inside edge of the quarter inch foot, I'm coming pretty close to that 1/8"



There are lots of lines and dots on the tool to make sure you stay on track.



Next, I sewed two halves together to make the Method 6 unit.

They're a little wonky, but not bad. When the experiment with the 5" scrap square went well, I decided to cut both pieces - the scrap (already cut to 5" squares) and the light blue dot fabric.


Without that extra quarter-inch on either side, I may be losing a little bit of the stability along the curved seam. If that's true, it's a trade off I can live with.

I need to make a few more of each unit to have enough for a table runner, then I have another idea to complete all the pieces I need.

Stay tuned! I might be a while!

Happy Stitching!
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment