Friday, September 11, 2009

Good deed

Like so many, eight years ago I was taken in by the events of September 11, 2001 as  each unthinkable detail unraveled everything. Yesterday, I received information about  the National Day of Service from a fellow quilt guild member. The website inspired me to do something. I shared my plan and started thinking. And digging in my fabric stash.

Leftover flannel, soft and cozy. Not enough for a big quilt. Just enough for a quilt block. Perfect for a tiny life, having a rough start.

So this is how I started my day today. I finished up one of the small quilts - just a quilt block. Added a border and some backing. Turned. So simple. Only about 18" square. Little bit of quilting to hold it all together. Just enough. Blue for a baby boy. Didn't take long. Another in pink. Why not? For a tiny girl.
 
These will go to the Neonatal Intensive Care unit at the local hospital. The small quilts brighten up the nursery and offer some cheer to mom and dad. And something soft for baby. Hope.

This is a favorite project of mine. A lift to wrap up a hectic week. A great way to practice a new stitch or play with color combinations for a bigger quilt project. The babies never complain, nor do the parents, if a stitch is out of place. I save up a stack and every so oftern, I take the whole bunch of small quilts to the hospital. Unfortunately, the need for quilts is on-going.

It's a nice thing to do, especially today.
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment