Thursday, November 8, 2012

It's a Sister Thing. . .

Every year, my two sisters and I take a break from a hectic fall schedule to head to Fly Creek Cider Mill in Fly Creek, New York. It's a bit of a drive; Fly Creek is about two hours by car from Syracuse. But it's the one day all year that we get to run away and have some fun, just the three of us.

We try to schedule the trip so we can enjoy the beautiful fall foliage in Central New York. Well, more often than not, we lose track of time and miss the colors altogether. No matter, it's still fun to go.

We even have a 'uniform.' Several years ago, we all got sweatshirts at a craft sale, each shirt with an applique pumpkin on it. We almost match. For some reason, my sweatshirt is a slightly different color than the other two. (My sisters would say that's because I'm different!) The shirts are starting to show a little wear-and-tear, but tradition is tradition, after all.

I must admit, it feels a little goofy walking around wearing matching clothes like we are triplets. We're not triplets, but I guess you can say we are pretty goofy. Eh, well.

It seems like I write something about this trip every year. Sorry if this sounds familiar. There will be new material next week . . . or not! Eh, well . . . again.


What fall adventure is complete without a tractor full of pumpkins?


Once inside the mill, visitors are greeted with an amazing array of yummy tastes and treats. Dips, marinades, sauces, soup mixes, and unique kitchen utensils. Lots of items are available to try before you buy.
 


Peek upstairs for a taste of the holidays! Wish they would come to my house to put up my tree!

Shelves full of colorful items to buy for a gift or for yourself!
 
 

It is a real working cider mill, too! First the apples are crushed into mash (the barrels on the left), then the mash is placed in layers under the press. Then the cider press squishes the living daylights out of the apples to make cider!
 


On the way to the check-out, don't forget the fudge. There are about a million different flavors. Yum-yum!


Uh-oh. Somebody (me) got a little carried away! My receipt is about a mile long!
 


You can purchase cracked corn to feed the ducks that live in the pond adjacent to the mill. This duck is ready for snack time!
 


To wrap up the day, we always stop at Gems along the Mohawk for more shopping and for lunch. That's my sister Valerie on the left, and Cathy on the right.
 


Me on the left and Valerie. We couldn't find anyone to take a picture of the three of us together. Notice the goofy shirts?
 


Okay, now that the official Fly Creek visit is behind us, it's time to turn my attention to my Christmas cards. Each year I try to make a hand-made ornament for my greeting cards for friends and relatives. I'm running out of time already, and don't have the slightest idea what I'll be making this year. Got any suggestions?

Have a terrific week!
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment