Thursday, June 13, 2013

So Many Choices, So Little Time!

Last summer I challenged all my readers to use their orphan quilt blocks in a quick summer project. We had a competition, a judge, and a really amazing prize package! It was a lot of fun, and it really helped me clear out some of those orphan blocks in my own stash as I created some of the projects I wrote about.

This summer, I'm challenging myself to finish up a few things--and start a few things too. Sorry, no prizes this year, just some plain old-fashioned quilting motivation.

Earlier this year, I started working on this project. The pattern is inspired by a single quilt block from a book full of modern quilt blocks--the book is Modern Blocks from Stash Books, compiled by Suzanne Woods--and this block is the only triangle block in the bunch. I honestly can't say I'm in love with the project. I had to alter the instructions to be able to hand-sew the block. And create the sashing templates--it needed something between the blocks. I love the fabric selection--something from my stash that I purchased year or two ago. Needless to say, this project has some challenges. So, it made me think. . . .




If I'm going to work on a hand sewing project, several years ago, before hexagons hit their current state of hyper-rage, I started making this hexie quilt from a bunch of scraps. The 3/4" hexagons are hand sewn--no paper piecing--English or otherwise. These are done with template plastic, pencil markings, pins and thread. All the hexagons are prepped and ready to sew. And all the diamond-shaped blocks are assembled. I only need to complete the quilt top, come up with some sort of border treatment, and quilt it. "Only"  . . .Ha!


This one is actually a really fun project. I bet it's the first one to get completed this summer! As much as I'm enjoying stitching this project, it serves as a good reminder that Inklingo might be the way to go next time I have an urge to hand-sew hexies together!






With all the summer graduation party invitations, it's good to have a fast and fun project ready to roll. My good friends Susan and Christine, The Swirly Girls, have a new book out, and I'm just itching to make something from it! Four fat quarters and some yardage. Let's see what happens next . .




Every quilter should have a quilt on their own bed, right? Well here's a close up of the quilt on my bed. It has seen better days.




Maybe this summer, I'll create something new and scrappy. These fat quarters and a couple of pretty blue solids seem to want to become something. We'll see. . . .




And these Half-Square Triangles are part of an online HST exchange. Before summer began, each group member (including me!) made a pile of half-square triangles. All were sent to one coordinator, and they were swapped. Now I have a pile of HSTs and a deadline. Will my project be complete by Labor Day? Is the suspense killing you? Yeah, me too!





Karen and Josh welcomed Faye to the family in May. That means, she needs a baby quilt. Let's see if we can get that finished up this summer with our Quilting 101 lesson plan!



Plus one more! I'd like to spend some time showing you some of the projects in the new book in more detail as the summer progressed. There is some great stuff in here!





What about you? Do you have any quilty goals for the summer?

Or . . . maybe it's best to let the quilts decide.

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment