Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Sure Sign of Spring

Yesterday, I spent the day with my friends at Material Girls Quilt Boutique in La Plata, Maryland. Our workshop project was a 'secret' new quilt project. While the workshop participants were busy bees sewing scraps together, I took advantage of some cute Easter fabric and the Taste of Nectar Pin Pack to make a Spring holiday treat.

This might be a bit reminiscent of a recent post featuring quilty heart-shaped pins.

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


First, I needed some 1" half-square triangles. So I paired two 2-inch squares, drew a diagonal line on one, and sewed a 1/4" seam on both sides of the line. Cut and trim. And repeat, repeatedly.

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


To make four pins, I needed 24 half-square triangles. I ended up with quite a pile of trimmings.

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


Instead of 9-patches, I'm making 2x3 rectangles, so I trimmed the Mini Scrap Grid interfacing to have just enough to make four. The Nectar Pin Pack has enough goodies to make 9 pins.

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


Next, I fused the HSTs to make a chevron pattern on the grid. Then it was time to sew. Pretty much, I followed the process to use the Mini Scrap Grid, as usual.

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


Fold. Sew. . . .

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


. . . cut apart, and press. (And you KNOW, how much I like to furl those seam allowances!)

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


Add a 1x2" border on the bottom and a 1-1/2x2" border on the top. The Nectar Pin pack has fusible foam 3" square batting. To make an egg, just trim an inch-wide strip from one side. Then cut a 2x3" backing rectangle from the cut Easter fabric.

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


Layer the backing, foam, batting, and top. Fuse with an iron and quilt lightly.

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


Cut with pinking shears to form the shape of an egg and sew or glue the pin to the back. All set for Easter breakfast!

Quilted Easter Egg Pins


Happy Stitching!

Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment