Thursday, March 24, 2016

Progress?

Back in January, I decided to set some objectives for the year. The target: My unfinished objects. Rather than making long lists of quilts to complete, I decided on making a modest plan, keeping it focused, and making it fun. You can read more about my process here.

While there's still plenty of time left in the year to achieve my goal to complete 12 already-started projects during 2016, I'm finding the hardest part is staying focused on one thing at a time.

From the outset, with the first part of my year heavily loaded with pattern-writing commitments, I knew real progress wouldn't really happen on my targeted projects until later in the year. Even so, I do have some progress to report:

The Scrappy Star quilt is finished!



Big Stitch hand quilting is complete, and the binding even has an accent flange. The flange was cut and stored away years ago, and I'm surprised I was able to find it for this quilt! It's going to be given to a military family.



It even has a label.



I've chosen another project for hand quilting. It's underway.



I'm taking my time and doing an awful lot of quilting in each of the 4" and 2" blocks. It's all good!



I need to have an 'alternate' project at the sewing machine. I've had several fabric scraps with these little 3-1/2" squares. I've fussy cut the squares and I'm in progress of converting the squares into mug mats and place mats. Progress is slow but steady. I've set up a stack of in-progress place mats on a Steady Betty, and placed it on an open drawer in my sewing machine table--it's a like a little make-shift shelf, so I can reach over and grab a quick piece to put at the end of a string of chained pieced units. It works for me!



I haven't decided if I'm going to count each place mat and each mug mat individually or as a whole toward my goal numbers. . . hmm

How about you? Are you getting lots of projects done in 2016. . . and more importantly, are you enjoying the process??

Happy Stitching!
Happy Easter!
Happy Spring!
joan ford

No comments:

Post a Comment