Thursday, October 27, 2016

Magic Salt

When you travel, it's easy to fall into some bad habits. Tempting cookies in the hotel lobby, not-so-healty easy-to-grab snacks in between meals. But at the end of a long day, it's so nice to be able to treat yourself to a good dinner. Whenever I'm in the Northlake area of Atlanta, I try to visit Northlake Thai, for some yummy Asian fare. This coconut shrimp dish tasted every bit as good as it looks!




At lunch time, my friend Shelly Stokes and I enjoyed lunch with two women from Indiana, Holly Kile and her Aunt Gin. We all ordered lunch, and the drinks arrived first. Nothing unusual about that. When Aunt Gin received her cold drink, she picked it up off the napkin, reached for the salt shaker and 'salted' the napkin and returned the glass to the napkin, without skipping a beat in the conversation.

Wait, what? Neither Shelly nor I had ever seen this trick before. Shelly simultaneously vocalized the question that was going through my head: What are you doing?




Aunt Gin's reply: If you salt the napkin then put a glass full of a cold drink on the salt, the napkin won't stick to the bottom of the glass when you pick up the icy/sweating glass. I didn't know that! Did you?

I just had to share. I bet now you'll sent me a note saying that you knew this little trick all along. . . . I'm not sure how I have managed to survive without this tidbit of critical information!

Anyway, back on the home front . . .

On my return home, I found this single coneflower in bloom in the garden. I guess I'm not the only one trying to hang on to every last bit of the summer season. With a trace of snow accumulated on the cars yesterday morning, it's getting harder and harder to live in my little world of denial. I guess you could say this is a late bloomer in the truest sense of the word.




Happy Stitching!
Joan Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment