Thursday, October 19, 2017

A-a-a-all Aboard!

Over the weekend, I was guest speaker at the Hope Lutheran Fall Quilt Show in Arcade, New York. My host was Sandy Pirdy and her fabulous crew at Creekside Fabrics, Quilts and Yarn.



Sandy’s must-visit shop is situated exactly adjacent to Clear Creek.



Every time I visit, one step inside the door, and I feel like I am home. The staff is just the best - friendly and helpful - especially when there is glow-in-the-dark fabric to examine (little inside joke there, sorry - couldn’t resist!)



On Friday, I was invited to do some demonstrations at the shop. Here, folks are gathered around to see how I made the pieced fabric buttons for the Button Collection Pillow . . .



The pillow pattern is from ScrapTherapy, The Versatile Nine Patch, using the Mini Scrap Grid interfacing and Quiltsmart Zig Zapps Circles.



Later, we headed over to the Hope Lutheran Church, a few blocks away. Quilts representing a pattern series entitled Women of The Bible were hung in the church sanctuary.



And lots of quilts in the main gathering/lobby area. This one made by Nancy Bush and its bird and bird house theme naturally grabbed my attention!



And of course, a quilter’s gotta eat. Fabulous chicken and biscuit lunch prepared and served by the church members throughout the weekend. Super yum!



After my talk, the quilts were draped over the alter rail in the church sanctuary for closer inspection.



And a little Arcade history: if you visit Arcade you simply *must* visit the Arcade and Attica Railroad! And be prepared to travel back in time.



All you have to do is step foot inside the station and you feel as if you’ve entered another era. The model train above sets the stage appropriately.



Grab some popcorn!  . . .



 . . .  and climb aboard one of several 1920s coaches attached to a vintage locomotive steam engine.



The train runs regularly from June to October with a variety of special-themed events during all four seasons. The train makes two hour trips from Arcade to Curriers.



A sneak peek inside one of the coaches tells me that these folks are in for a fun ride!



Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take the trip with these fine folks, so I simply must plan to return to Arcade soon!

Many, many thanks to all those who made my trip to Arcade memorable!

Happy Stitching!


Joan Ford
 

No comments:

Post a Comment