Thursday, May 23, 2013

Photos for the Scrapbook

As you may have heard, Carol McLeod (Aunties Two) and I recently traveled from Coast to Coast to participate in Spring Quilt Market in Portland, Oregon. Carol is still en route on the return trip, with her husband sharing the navigator/driver responsibilities. I returned by plane. You can review our journey across the country and our many stops along the way on The Taunton Press CraftStylish blog. The final entry just posted here.

To celebrate a successful and busy Quilt Market for the Hummingbird Highway, Taunton is doing a book give-away! You have to comment on Taunton's blog entry to win. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

For a little luck, my blog post this week is dedicated to a few favorite photos from the trip. And from my return home to Syracuse.

One of my favorite stops along the way to Portland was in Kankakee County, Illinois to see 8' barn quilts displayed on several of the barns and farm buildings throughout the county. Each year, new barns are added to the tour and get their own quilt blocks. The blocks stay on the barn year-round, available to see any time on a self-guided tour.

Of the barn quilt blocks that we saw, this one was my favorite. The fresh clean look of the double wedding ring block offset by the rugged, weathered old barn was simply beautiful!



Violets bloomed in the tall grass right at our feet in front of the rustic barn.



Portland is known as the city of roses. This pretty pink bloom covered with rain droplets looks so alive and fresh.



Of course, the main event was Quilt Market itself. My booth was chock full of Scrappy Quilts from ScrapTherapy, Scraps Plus One!



Tempting visitors to snuggle into the quilts on the fluffy bed, books just begged to be opened and read.



My all-time favorite flower is the lilac. Back in Syracuse, we have a huge bush in our yard. While I was away in Portland, I was afraid I'd miss this year's blooms. Fortunately, the flowers were ready to be snipped and placed in a vase while the heavenly scent filled my kitchen and office space!



And these tiny blossoms are a new addition to this year's garden. They look like Forget-Me-Nots to me, but my gardener-guy husband says no. No matter, they are too sweet not to include!



Enjoy a safe, relaxing long weekend!

Happy Stitching!
joan

No comments:

Post a Comment