Thursday, June 13, 2019

Good Things, Not-so-Small Packages

I'm not sure who coined the phrase, "Good things come in small packages."

Sometimes that's true, but when you place an order for a roll of batting, a whole lotta fluff arrives in a pretty big package.

I've been out of wool batting (Hobbs Heirloom wool is my favorite) for a while now. So I picked up the phone and ordered some just the other day. Yesterday it arrived in a soft 'poof' at the front door.

wool batting delivery


I didn't hear the delivery person, so I was surprised by this six food box at my front door when I checked to see if the Orioles finished up the grape jelly and  needed a refill. My view was blocked!

When I get a big package, I sometimes wait and get some assistance from Dave once he gets home from work. But the box was light and easy to bring inside.

But then it blocked the entryway inside!

I opened the box, and started pulling the big batting roll. If I were smart about it, then I could have cut the sides of the box, too. But noo-o-o. The pulling created a little vacuum inside the box. Eventually the whole project took over my entry hall way, at last the batting was birthed!

batting delivery


Okay. Next challenge was getting it downstairs to the "Ford Underground" where I have storage space set aside just for batting.

I opened the basement door, and couldn't resist the temptation to set the roll free to slide down the stairs.

The free-falling batting hit the stack of empty fabric bolts like a bowling ball hitting the pins - I got a spare!

batting


Then finally, removing the plastic created an immediate cloud of fluff as the wool expanded immediately. Wonder how they got all that fluff INTO the bag?

Anyway. I struggled a bit with this oversized toilet-paper-style installation. The batting is light weight but the size made it quite awkward!

I'm kinda glad nobody witnessed this part. . .

batting roll installed


Now that I have batting - and it's where it belongs, I have no excuses. Time to sandwich, baste and quilt this top! The pattern is from The Versatile Nine Patch, called Split the Check. I've been working on it off and on for a few months now.

quilt top, ready to quilt

Happy Stitching!
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment