Thursday, June 6, 2019

Nothin' Much

After a couple of weeks of how-to's (you can re-visit the scrappy wash cloths here and the fabric biscornu here if you missed them), I don't have much to say for myself this week. . . . well, maybe one or two things . . .

The Genesee Valley Quilt Fest was held this past week in Rochester. 

Wow! Lots of vendors and quilts on display, making the hour-and-change trek to Rochester from Syracuse well worth the trip!

From the second floor of the RIT Field House, you have a bird's eye view of the show.


Genesee Valley Quilt Fest, birds eye view


These next two photos, one full view, the other a detail of the quilting, are of a fabulous quilt made by Nick Williams. The base fabric is a panel called 'Dream Big.' The quilting alone is spectacular, but the applique and the subject matter of that applique overlay (my favorite hummingbirds!) really makes this piece jaw-dropping.


Hummingbird quilt on "Dream Big" panel. Quilt by Nick Williams

Hummingbird quilt on "Dream Big" panel. Quilt by Nick Williams


My cross stitch hummingbird quilt was also on display at the show. Remember my progress reports on this project earlier this year?


Hummingbird quilt, cross stitch


. . . And, of course, there were vendors at the show. I purchased one of those extra-fine mist spray bottles in this booth and received this bee stencil as a bonus! Bees seemed to be everywhere at the show - in the fabric prints on sale in the vendor booths, especially. By the way, I made a few other purchase at the show too! *A-hem!*


bee stencil


Once back home, the purple half-square triangle table runner is now pin-basted. Only a couple evenings ago I started the hand quilting on it.

Can't wait to have it finished.

(Yeah, I'm a little weird, I hate thread basting, so I pin baste and use a hoop to hand quilt--I remove the pins as I quilt. It works for me.)

detail of hand quilting on half square triangle table runner



See, that was quick! Perhaps I'll get myself into more trouble this week. . . I have a few ideas . . . *wink!*

Happy Stitching!
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment