Thursday, November 14, 2019

More Cookies!

Last week, I started with the statement that 'some projects are meant to be.' This week, I hafta say, that sentiment continues.

You may recall that two weeks ago, I was lamenting the stack of scrappy four-patch blocks in hibernation on the small table next to my sewing cabinet. The four-patches were, for the most part, intended to be made into puffy, scrappy pin cushions.

Within the stack, also lived nine matching holiday-print four-patches.

Last week, I took notice of those, and made a small (maybe about 15" square) cookie mat from nine four-patches and some 'found' cookie-themed border stripe fabric in my stash.


At the end of the article last week, I took aim at this short stack of 20 matching green and white four-patches.



I was away on business for the last part of last week, and I sat down at the sewing machine on Monday with a sideways glance to the green-and-white stack.

Plus, there was one last strip of cookie stripe leftover from last-weeks cookie mat.

I laid out the checkerboard four-patches at the top and bottom of the last bit of stripe . . .




Sewed two rows of five four-patches into a panel, pressed, then added the trimmed stripe to the long edge of the piecing.

Then, I trimmed the edge of the stripe so I didn't have to guess where to place the second checkerboard panel.



"Wa-la"!"

Cookie Mat, Second in the Series, is nearly complete!



Back to stash-diving to unearth a couple chunks of holiday prints and one last itty-bitty strip of the stripe - you should try saying that.

Stripe strips! Strip stripe!

It works both ways and it's kinda fun to say. . .

(Okay, I'm weird)

Moving on. . . .



I layered with batting then ran out of sewing time for the day.

Only thing that bugs me is that the checkerboard is kinda plain against the stripe strip *a-hem*.

It's a little stark and it needs something else. But what? . . . stitching? a fussy quilting pattern? hand quilting? . . . What?



And then it dawned on me! I have it! But I'm outta sewing time!

That means, you'll have to wait for next week's installment to see if my light-bulb moment worked. I think it's going to be sweet and very festive!



And this added bonus . . . Look at my stack of scrappy four-patches!

Two weeks ago, the four-patches were flirting with the top edge of the storage box!

With 29 four-patches re-purposed (or almost) into finished 'somethings,' my four-patch pin cushioning project is looking a lot lighter.

I'm on a roll. If you're a four-patch, watch out! 

Happy Stitching!
Joan 

No comments:

Post a Comment