Thursday, January 2, 2020

No Words

Every year, at New Years, I feel somewhat compelled to choose a 'word of the year' or make New Years resolutions. If that works for you, then great.

The word thing just doesn't do it for me. It feels too general. Eh.

This year, I am sensing a slightly different trend. I picked up a magazine a couple of nights ago that had a list of healthy choices to make into the new year. Likewise, online I've seen a few similar types of lists as I scrolled through social media.

I think I can get into that a bit more, so I came up with a short list, in no particular quantity or order to consider into the New Year. So, here goes. . . .

In no particular order:

Wonder at Technology

I have to be honest, the last couple of days have been filled with frustration for me. I print all the patterns for The FLOCK right here in my work room on these two laser printers. One of them has been giving me fits and starts since I purchased it months ago. Frustrating beyond words.

However, if I stop and think about it, as frustrating as technology can be, it's pretty awesome that we can do so much stuff in a home office setting. There are many, many evils that come with technology, but there are lots of bonuses too. I like to say, technology and systems are great, until they're not. Mostly, it's pretty cool stuff


Let it go

Speaking of technology, sometimes the best tech is low tech. And it's easy to forget that.

It's wonderful to have the answers to all of the world's questions right at my fingertips, but is that really necessary?

The roar of Niagara Falls, the experience of a stroll along a country path, the intoxicating scent of spring blooms cannot be duplicated online.

I can't prove it, but it feels like I do my best and most creative thinking when the smart phone is out of reach and turned off. I need to do that more.


Little by little

There are so many things that can overwhelm. That feeling of overwhelm kills joy.

That stack of scraps or four-patches aren't going anywhere. One pin cushion at a time, these will bring the joy of creativity and completion.

One stitch, one pin cushion, one four-patch, one scrap at a time.


Beauty can be hidden

Have you ever looked at the wrong side of a quilt or stitchery piece? There is rhythm, pattern, color, mystery, and chaos there.

Find knots or mistakes to be fixed (or not). I think there is as much joy in unstitching as in stitching - or there can be.

It's all a means to an exquisite end.


Embrace color

Colorful fabrics, interesting people, invigorating activities.

It's really about joy, isn't it?


Celebrate

If you look for it, you'll find a lot of bad stuff 'out there' - but that's always been there in one form or another. There is a lot of good stuff, too!

Treat yourself to a manicure, breathe in the smell of rain, relax with a warm beverage and a cozy quilt when a storm rages outside.


The best things in life. . .

. . . aren't things. Family, feathers, fur.

A couple of health issues in 2019 in my world reinforced that life and health is precious and not to be taken for granted. (Peaches, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot is going to be 37 years old this year!)



Happy New Year!

Happy Stitching!

joan

No comments:

Post a Comment